Most people don’t pay attention to their carpet or give it the type of cleaning it deserves. Most times, those who do so have little knowledge of how to clean the carpet effectively. Of course, when this is the case, it is bound to get worn out over time faster than it should. Even for those genuinely interested in taking care of their carpet, doing so might be difficult especially without the right knowledge. You can learn more about handling tough stains and difficult carpet cleaning tasks on https://stainfreecarpetcleaners.wordpress.com/.
Poor carpet maintenance practices can have some detrimental consequences on the carpet. Some of these include:
- You will need to get a replacement earlier than you want to: Without proper maintenance, your carpet is not going to last as long as it should. The rule of proper maintenance applies to everything in your home, but most especially to items that are used regularly such as the carpet. When you allow dirt and grime to accumulate too much, the fibers begin to weaken. Since simply cleaning the carpet regularly is cheaper than having to buy a new one completely, proper cleaning and maintenance practices is a recommended alternative.
- It can lead to some health issues: failure to clean your carpet as much as you should does not only damage the carpet, it can also be detrimental to your health as well. Even if adults have little direct contact with the carpet, pets, and babies lie down and roll on it all the time. An unclean carpet can also arbor pollutants and allergens that may cause some respiratory disorders.
- It causes the home to lose its appeal: An unclean carpet is never attractive to the eyes. No matter how attractive the rest of your interior decor might look, it loses all of its appeal when the carpet which is the central piece is dirty and unattractive.
Since keeping an unclean carpet is a bad idea, everyone needs to pay attention to proper cleaning and effective techniques for removing dirt and stains. You must also look out and avoid practices that may cause stains and damage to your carpet.
However, despite all your efforts to avoid spills, if you ever happen to get food stains, wine, coffee spills or footprints on your carpet, you should know the proper ways to clean it all up. Here are some effective cleaning tips for vacuuming and getting rid of stains.
1. Vacuuming the carpet:
Regularly vacuuming your carpet on a weekly or fortnight schedule is recommended to keep it clean and minimize damage. You should make efforts to clean the entire carpet but also focus particularly on stained areas. Here is a simple step-by-step guide to vacuuming your carpet:
- Get the room ready: This is the first and most important step. You need to get the room ready to be vacuumed by removing every obstruction out of the way. Pick up every item on the floor such as toys, clothes, shoes and so on. These will not only hinder the vacuum cleaner but can also cause damage to it as you work. Before you begin vacuuming the carpet, you should also dust the furniture, WindowBlinds, and pretty much everywhere else that needs cleaning. Dust and dirt from these places may fall onto your carpet after vacuuming if you don’t clean them first.
- Attach nozzles to clean hard to reach places: some specific areas of your carpet are hard to reach, yet they accumulate a lot of dust. These include the carpet edges, baseboard areas, underneath furniture items and so on. For places like this, you should attach a nozzle or cranny extension to reach these places so that no area of your carpet is left untouched.
- Vacuuming horizontally and vertically: There is an effective but systematic way to get your room vacuumed. First, the entire room should be vacuumed forward and backward repeatedly. Then, repeat the same process going from left to right. You will find this system to be quite effective since it helps you clean the twisted fibers of the carpet more efficiently.
2. Cleaning stained spots:
Although the ultimate goal is to clean the entire room, you have to pay special attention to areas of your carpet that have been stained. You should clean spills and stains as soon as they occur. This is an easier approach compared to waiting until a later date. Here are some tips to help you get rid of carpet stains easily.
- Blot stains with a napkin: when spills of any kind occur, the first line of action is to blot the stain using a clean napkin. Be sure to blot gently instead of rubbing the stain. You can then use another clean napkin to get the remaining stain out of the carpet.
- Use the right carpet cleaner: to get the desired result in your carpet cleaning quest, be sure to use the right carpet cleaner. While there are a variety of over-the-counter products and home-made remedies for carpet cleaning, not every one of them is recommended for use and some of them are simply ineffective. You can ask a friend to recommend a good product or read up reviews online to find the best one for you.
3. Hire a professional:
You might be too busy to give your carpet the right treatment it deserves, but fortunately, you can simply contact a professional cleaning company to get the job done. You call to book their service and they show up at your house on schedule to get the cleaning done. This alternative is not only simpler but also a lot more efficient since you will be having professionals with all the needed tools and cleaning agents handling the cleaning. Click here for tips for hiring the right carpet cleaning professionals.
Whether you are handling your cleaning yourself as a DIY project or calling the professionals, maintaining a clean carpet is important for both the appearance of your home and the health of its occupant. Follow the tips above for a nice and clean carpet.